Sunday, September 14, 2014

Mini Review Monday: The Ghost Bride, The Lake, The 10th Circle

The Ghost Bride by Yangsze Choo
Add to Goodreads

3 Stars

I was so excited about this book. I couldnt wait to read it, and I was let down...epicly.
It starts great. The description of the houses, places, smells, food, people, city, landscape is so well crafted that it will leave you breathless. I smelled the food that was beign described to me. The story started off so good that I instantly loved the book, until I hated it a few chapters later. The main characters were amazingly human, mysterious, enjoyable to read about. Until everything changed. There is a lot of mystery and sub plots in The Ghost Bride, and when I say a lot, I mean a lot. Initially, we have to deal with a couple ones but later on we found ourselves between the underworld and the living world and so many mysteries in both of those worlds, that it was hard to keep track of what was happening. It was confusing and awkward and I soon found myself being bored and eventually gave it up without completing it.
I am not saying that the books sucked completely because the characters alone were great and the way the story is being told but it is much too crowded with information that it gives you a headache.

The Lake by Banana Yoshimoto
Add to Goodreads

3.5 Stars 


I don;t know what to say about this book. I dont know what I was expecting when I picked it up but definitely not what I read. The books narration is pretty simple and to the point but the characters themselves are so so so so so complex. We get to see the Japanese culture and how two completely different people find each other, first from apathy and then grow closer because of love. It was a weird trip to the mysterious and yet fascinating Japan. Confusing, interesting and so much different from what I read before.


The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult
Add to Goodreads

3.5 stars
 
I've seen the movie years before I read the book and I was not really disappointed by either. The movie was really close to the book, so it felt like I was revising some things haha. Although, I didn;t finish the book, The 10th Circle was well written, the plot well layed out and the characters were ok. A lot of drama and some hair pulling -seriously?- moments but other than that on ok book. It's all about realizing that one tiny white lie or misunderstanding can cause so much trouble and sadness to everyone around you and what a great damage you can make to yourself above all.

Efterpi

No comments:

Post a Comment