Saturday, April 11, 2015

Hosting another Preview: Maxon by Christina Bauer (#Angelbound 4)

So, it is hardly a secret I ABSOUTELY LOVED Angelbound. (my reveiw here)

Since then the series kept being SO GOOD (though I have yet to publish my review of the second and the third book).

The Fourth book of the series is out in May, and Christina had been so kind to shareA sneak peek to the second chapter which is in Lianna's Voice(!!) on the InkyMonster Website.

First chapter here

Here it is folks:

Book Cover
# # #
Lianna
As I rush through the darkened forest, one thought floods my mind.
Crap, I’m running late.
That worry, as much as anything, is why I head-butt the flying frog.
“Sorry, Franklin,” I say quickly. “Didn’t see you there.”
Franklin’s sapphire skin and gossamer wings shimmer with blue light. That’s typical stuff for a water elemental—brighter skin means emotions are running high. In this case, Frankie-boy’s pissed that he’s stuck playing messenger to me, the lowliest of Namare’s apprentices.
He can kiss my thrax ass.
“What’s up, Franklin?”
The frog hovers by my shoulder. “It took me a fortnight to find you.”
“That’s why they call it hiding out. If the other apprentices don’t care about getting killed, that’s their business.” I sidestep another sinkhole. “Now if you don’t mind, I’m late for battle training.”
“With Fisk?” Franklin’s basso voice croaks extra-low. The tone says ‘I know Fisk is your lover.’ Irritation tightens up my neck. Everyone thinks that I became one of Namare’s apprentices by banging Fisk. I’d explain how I dumped his ass, but no one listens. Just like they don’t retain the fact that Fisk and I hooked up after I got the apprenticeship.
Franklin titters by my ear, and that’s when I’ve had enough.
“Did you come here for a reason, Franklin?”
“I have dark tidings. Namare is still ill.”
Namare’s the official leader of water elementals, what’s called a monarkki. There are four in total, one for each element: water, air, fire and earth. An image pops into my mind: my twentieth birthday party. It was me, Namare and a chocolate cake. That pretty much sums up my family life, right there. My heart clenches with worry. And Namare’s still sick.
I force my shoulders to strighten. Stay calm, Lianna. Namare’s been alive for twenty-thousand years and ill for as long as you’ve known her. She’ll pull through.
“Got it.” I work hard to keep my voice level. “What else is going on?”
“I’ve new memories for you as well.”
“Define new,” I say.
“Three weeks.”
“Didn’t bust your little blue ass to find me, now did you? I’m not that hard to locate, after all.”
Franklin flitters around in a huff, his chin high in the air. “Do you want I’ve gathered or not?”
Collecting memories is the water frog claim to fame. They store them on their tongues. Gross, but you get used to it.
“Okay, do your thing.”
Franklin hovers by my shoulder. “Wrist or neck?”
“Wrist is fine.”
Franklin lands on my forearm. His eyes glow bright blue as his long sticky tongue flicks against my wrist.
After that, everything around me disappears.


You can read all of Maxon when it’s released on May 12, 2015 by pre-ordering your copy on:

Christina Bauer

Written by Christina Bauer

Christina graduated from Syracuse University’s Newhouse School with BA’s in Television, Radio and Film Production and English. Her day job is in marketing for companies like Microsoft, Cisco, and Brainshark, as well as founding her own software start-up, Mindful Technologies. Christina believes that, upon close examination of Tolkien’s text, it’s entirely possible that the Balrog was wearing fuzzy bunny slippers. Angelboundis her first book with Ink Monster LLC.

No comments:

Post a Comment